Twitter icon
Facebook icon

Louis Feustel

Louis Feustel
Induction Year: 
Jan. 2, 1884, Lindenhurst, N.Y.
July 7, 1970, Freemont, Ohio
Career Years: 

Tab Wrapper


Louis Feustel was only 10 years old when he began working with horses, and in short time he began a long and prosperous association with August Belmont II. For Belmont, Feustel began as a stable hand, rose to stable foreman, and eventually became head trainer.


In 1913, Feustel conditioned the Belmont-owned Rock View to victories in the Travers, Withers, Lawrence Realization, and Brooklyn Derby. The next year, however, Belmont began to scale down his racing stable and began sold many of his runners. When the United States entered World War I, Belmont, then 65, went overseas as part of the war effort.


With Belmont involved with the war, Feustel went out on his own for a while before going to work for Sam Riddle’s Glen Riddle Farm as head trainer. At the 1918 Saratoga yearling sales, Feustel selected a son of the Belmont-owned Fair Play for Riddle for the sum of $5,000. His name was Man o’ War.


Man o’ War arrived at the races in 1919 and Feustel conditioned him to a record of 9-1-0 in 10 starts. He won the Tremont, Grand Union Hotel, United States Hotel, Hopeful, Futurity, and Youthful stakes that year, carrying 130 pounds six times.


At 3, Man o’ War won all 11 of his starts, including the Preakness, Belmont, Travers, Jockey Club Stakes, Lawrence Realization, Miller, Withers, and Dwyer, as well as the Stuyvesant and Potomac handicaps, and the Kenilworth Gold Cup, a race which he defeated 1919 Triple Crown winner Sir Barton.


The relationship between Feustel and Riddle began to strain in 1921, which led Feustel to make arrangements with his former employer, Belmont, who was rebuilding his breeding operation. In 1924, Feustel conditioned the Belmont-owned Ladkin to his historic win the International Special No. 2 over European standout Epinard. Belmont, however, died that year and Feustel was once again on his own. He later went to work for newspaper publisher Bernard Ritter in the 1930s and also ran a successful stable for Elizabeth Graham Lewis.


Feustel was in a serious automobile accident in 1943 that kept him out of racing for several months. He retired in 1950 after more than 40 years as a trainer.